sábado, 23 de abril de 2016

Dewey's 24-hour Readathon: April 2016



End of Event Survey


1. Which hour was most daunting for you?

Hour 13. It was 3 am here and I was extremely sleepy. I was not feeling very well either, so I decided it was best to go to sleep for a while. I woke up at 9.30 and continued readathoning.


2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?

Any kind of comic or graphic novel because they give you a fast sense of accomplishment. I really like Locke & Key and you can easily read the whole thing during a readathon. There are as many comics as readers, so it depends on what you like. I have a comics shelf on goodreads and you can write or comment if you're interested in specific recs. 


I also like to read short, fast-paced books, or books that grab you and don't let you go until you're done: whodunnits (try Agatha Christie), YA (John Green's Paper Towns), fantasy (Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study), scifi (Ernest Cline's Ready Player One), or romance (Sarah MacLean's A Rogue by Any Other Name). 


Keep in mind that audiobooks might become your best friends! I'm getting into the habit of listening to books I've already read and know quite well during the readathon, so I can get on with my chores and do social media updates at the same time I keep on reading. I use Librivox for this, but you can try your library or Audible! 


3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season?

I'd actually like to see more official support to book bloggers on traditional blogging platforms. While I love the diversity of social media used by readathoners and appreciate the huge communities on Twitter and Goodreads, I kind of feel that straight-up bloggers were a bit left out this time. But maybe it was just my perception and not at all true! Also, I feel a bit of a jerk complaining without offering solutions, but I really don't know what could be done. 


4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?

Hosts were all extremely well coordinated.

5. How many books did you read?
4 books

6. What were the names of the books you read?
1. Avengers Epic Collection: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - mainly Stan Lee & Jack Kirby - 2 stars
2. The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss - 4 stars
3. La Casa - Paco Roca - 5 stars
4. Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare - 3 stars to this audio edition

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
La Casa by Paco Roca, an autobiographical comic by a Spanish author about losing your parents and coping with it. The art was excellent and the story was carefully told. The only problem I had is that it was very emotive and it left me on a state of book hangover not conducive to readathoning. I didn't want to start a new book after finishing it.

8. Which did you enjoy least?
Avengers Epic Collection: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It's an omnibus of almost 500 pages that collects the first 20 stories of the Avengers, from 1963 to 1965. I really enjoy having read it, because I've learned quite a lot about the origins of the Marvel Universe and their superheroes and supervillains. On the other hand, most of the stories were boring (too simplistic and childish) and some were downright offensive. Sadly, some of these traits are still present in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (that is, the new Marvel superhero blockbusters that fill our screens and that I unabashedly enjoy in spite of their problems).

9. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Unless life throws a curveball, 100% likely. I'll be a reader and a cheerleader, and I might help managing the GR group. I'm actually thinking of readathoning over there next time.

Local time: 18:31


____________________________________________________________________________


Hour 23 


Local time: 12:00

Hours spent reading: 10

Books finished: 3
1. Avengers Epic Collection: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - mainly Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (comic, started before the readathon) - 2 stars
2. The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss - 4 stars
3. La Casa - Paco Roca - 5 stars

Currently reading: 
1. Romeo & Juliet - William Shakespeare (on audio)
Fun fact: they're filming the movie adaptation of Still Star-Crossed on my city. I went to have a look at the filming locations yesterday and it's quite cool!

Eaten: Greek yoghurt with cinnamon apple jelly, a cup of caramel macchiato, ham & tomato on baguette

I've been incubating an ugly cold. Whenever I fly, I get a sore throat and a headache, and I'm feeling a bit under the weather. But not so bad that I can't read! I've finished two books in two hours. The problem is that I don't know what to read now. La Casa is one of those books that leave you with a book hangover. Nothing I pick seems to work! Maybe nonfiction?

____________________________________________________________________________


Mid Event Survey


1. What are you reading right now? 

I'm about to finish Avengers Epic Collection: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It is SO BAD you guys. But I'm learning a lot about the Avengers and their lore.


2. How many books have you read so far? 

A grand total of... 0. But I'm reading three at the same time, so what can you expect.


3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
I really, really want to finish The Slow Regard of Silent Things. I'm halfway through and I'm loving it.

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
My interruptions were all at the start of the readathon, so I just started later. But they were nice interruptions: I bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in months and decided to grab lunch with him, then went to visit the book fair, and then got a phone call from my grandma (she's the sweetest).

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
The diversity of readathoners and ways to readathon. We truly make Dewey's Readathon ours! No rules is a great rule.

____________________________________________________________________________


Hour 10 Challenge - Character Road Trip


I'd travel with Hermione from Harry Potter, because she's a girl after my own heart and she has the best traveling tips, like carrying a bottomless bag.

We'd start from Hogwarts, of course, which is near Loch Ness, our first stop. There, Hermione and I would share our knowledge about magical creatures and cryptozoology to compare notes about Nessy. Then, we'd continue to Edinburgh, where I'd take her to The Elephant House for a good capuccino with a dash of meta, and we'd tour the city because it's such a cool place. We'd finish in Hay-On-Wye with its many bookshops, where, as bookworms, we would buy books to our heart's content.



____________________________________________________________________________


Hour 10 



Local time: 23:00

Hours spent reading: 4

Books finished: 0

Currently reading: 
1. Romeo & Juliet - William Shakespeare (on audio)
2. The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss
3. Avengers Epic Collection: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - mainly Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (comic, started before the readathon)

Eaten: Indian English breakfast tea, artisanal fruit gums as a snack, grilled cheese and pesto sandwich and olives for lunch
____________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone! This year I'm winging the readathon, which is very unlike me. I'm also starting 5 hours late. On my way to the Book Fair (happy Book Day to all of you, by the way!) I met a friend I hadn't seen in months and we grabbed lunch & coffee together. Unexpected but pleasant! And I got new books :)

My opening meme:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Spain! Just arrived from France, which is one of the reasons I haven't planned at all.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
For the first time ever I haven't planned a stack. I'll be reading what I find appealing, so I don't know yet. I'm gonna start with a Romeo and Juliet audiobook since I need to do laundry and unpack my luggage.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Artisanal fruit gums. Not the healthiest, but yum.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm a 26-year-old PhD student just arrived from a quarter spent in France, love plants, reading, traveling and baking.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today?
I'm not sure if this is my 6th readathon maybe? Lost count. But this is my first unplanned and unprepared readathon. Let's see how it goes!

6 comentarios:

  1. I hope the readathon goes well even if it is not planned out!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. You're going great! It's Hour 11 and you've got 3 books on the go. Hope you can finish them all. Keep it the great reading! #TeamRogue

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you Sharlene! I did finish them, and another one as a bonus :)

      Eliminar
  3. Honestly, we have 2000 readers and only 70ish cheerleaders. Blog cheerleading is not a viable option any more unless we have more volunteers. I'm sorry you were disappointed, but I hope the rest of the readathon went well for you.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I know about the situation, I've been cheering for a while now. Last time we cheered on blogs, the list was daunting and I felt cheerleader's efforts were spread too thin. I don't ask for cheerleading in blogs because I know it wasn't working anymore. There aren't enough volunteers.

      I myself have switched to Twitter for the RAT, so I didn't feel isolated or personally disappointed, but I wish I could think of something to make bloggers who only blog feel more included.

      Eliminar