sábado, 6 de febrero de 2016

Reluctant Romantic: Genre Speed Dating


What genre are you getting to know this month? Why do you want to give it a chance?

I've decided to try romance. You can see the books I'm thinking about reading here.

Once upon a time, I was a lit snob who only read classics and lit fic. I looked down on my teen loves, YA, fantasy, comics and scifi. I had lost the joy of living, clearly. And of course I scoffed at those who read romance or mystery, or worst of all, cozies! If it was fun and light, it wasn't real reading! It's as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm afraid. But I'm slowly recovering. Now my reading diet is more varied and it includes a healthy portion of genre literature.

Romance is a genre with a reputation and I think it's unfair. It's not better or worse than any other genre literature (I guess).

I hope the Challenge helps me decide my true opinion about romance so that I stop spewing prejudices as if they were universal truths.

6 comentarios:

  1. Good luck with that. I used to look down on Romance, though I've gotten better about that, now. Now I just look down on Twilight. And I have a right. I read it. ;)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hahaha! Perfect comment.

      So far is more tame than I thought it would be. And I haven't encountered any weird euphemisms or fainting ladies + brooding heroes, so it's being a great start.

      Eliminar
  2. Good luck! Romance is definitely NOT my genre, but I'd be interested to see your thoughts!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! I like the warm, fuzzy feelings it's giving me - it's like petting a kitten! As I've said above, it's not as wild as I imagined.

      Eliminar
  3. I've turned into a bit of a lit snob compared to my high school self too! That's part of what inspired me to try this project. I still read historical fiction and nonfiction, in addition to classics and lit fic, but sci fi, fantasy, and cozzies have dropped off my radar, while romance and horror were never even on it. This month, I'm really enjoying stepping out of my comfort zone and I do think it's helping to cure me of some of my snobbery :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. We seem to have followed similar bookish pathways! After getting acquainted with romance, I plan on reading YA, mystery, and more scifi and fantasy. I rely too much on classics!

      Eliminar