lunes, 15 de febrero de 2016

BBAW: Introduce yourself


This is part of Book Blogger Appreciation Week (#BBAW), which is an event created to acknowledge the hard work of book bloggers and their growing impact on book marketing and their essential contribution to book buzz in general. Think of it as a retreat for book bloggers and a chance for us to totally nerd out over books together. And of course, shower each other with love and appreciation.

An unexpected surge of work has turned this week into a tough blogging week, but I just can't miss BBAW!

Better late than never, here go the five books that say the most about me. It was very difficult to choose, except for number one on my list:

1. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
This was a case of reading the right book at the right time - the story of Lyra and Will weaves fantasy, mythology, folklore and religion in a tale of romance and adventure. It was one of the first books to make me cry. It opened my eyes to what life and literature could be, and changed me, plain and simple. It will always have a place in my heart. Years later I read it aloud to my partner, and that experience only increased the love I feel for this trilogy.
Bonus: The Ocean at the End of the Lane recaptured this experience.

2. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë
One of my favorite classics. I enjoy reading classics and they constitute a good portion of my reading diet. But some times you have to read against the odds: difficult language, racial and social prejudices, or misogyny come to mind. Jane Eyre is the first book that showed me classics can be feminist, too, and Jane was one of my first heroines.

3. If On A Winter's Night A Traveller - Italo Calvino
I'm one of the weird book nerds who can actually choose a favorite book. So I thought I'd include it here because at least it tells you something about me - I haven't read enough to really have it tough to choose just one. I should keep on reading! But really, I fell in love with Calvino's masterpiece because it's a love letter to reading and readers, and because he uses postmodern devices to great effect. I like books, and books that comment on literature and do it wittily make my knees weak.

4. Watchmen - Alan Moore
I read comics. Often. And not only the lauded graphic novels, memoirs and non-fiction, which I enjoy quite a lot, but also cape and tights, from Marvel no less. I've probably had more discussions about superheroes than about the Brontës. They do have their problems, and Alan Moore, being his intelligent and experienced self, uses a comic with superheroes to tell you about these problems and to make a critique of society in less than 500 pages.

5. Good Evening, Mrs. Craven - Mollie Panter-Downes
Short stories are bite-sized pieces of literature. I admire the craft to write a successful short story - it's more difficult than writing a novel. This collection is about the Home Front during World War 2, one of my favorite historical periods. In my free time, I explore the history and literature of the anglophone world, mostly the UK, and WW2 was a very interesting period indeed. And this was published by Persephone Books, and indie press charged with publishing forgotten literature usually written by overlooked women. This is my niche: women, literature and the price of war on the individual.

What books would make your list?

4 comentarios:

  1. Wonderful list! I am enjoying all the things so many bloggers have said about Jane Eyre -- it's one of my all-time favorite books, and it taught me so much about what books could be, when I was a little kid reading it for the first time.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. So many great choices. I'm especially onboard with His Dark Materials (still need to read the third book), and The Ocean at the End of the Lane bowled me over in a way that few books do. Thanks for jumping in on BBAW!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. The third book is the most heartbreaking and perfect of the trilogy. You have to read it!

      Thank you for organizing :)

      Eliminar