domingo, 31 de enero de 2016

Currently | In France!

shamelessly stole got this idea from Kim, who blogs at Sophisticated Dorkiness. She reviews the most amazing books, so go read her blog!



The month of silence has been due to just one thing: I've temporarily relocated to France! I'll be living here this semester for my PhD. At first it was overwhelming, since I didn't know anyone here, and I acutely missed my family and friends. Fortunately, I'm in a great place and have already met a bunch of lovely persons.

Time: 11:30

Place: Desk in my temporal apartment


Eating & Drinking: Mint tea with honey for a sore throat


Reading
During the first two weeks of January I didn't read that much with the planning and preparation, but I've compensated it (prepare for a batch of mini-reviews!). I've recently finished Nellie Bly's Around the World in Seventy-Two Days and loved it, and I'm about a quarter through Tor.com's annual short story collection... of 2014! It has been languishing in my TBR pile for almost a year. I want to finish it before they publish the new one.

Listening: Lots of radio. Will I get used to French?


WatchingDownton Abbey. I abandoned it midway through but I got the Downton bug last week and watched three episodes in a row. It's as soapy as I remember it, but at the same time so good! 

Loving: Tourism! I always like getting to know new places.

Promoting: I'm going to be participating in two events during February:
  1. Little Women Read-Along hosted by Jenni Elyse, Kami and Suey. I'm very excited about this, since it's been a really long time since I last read Little Women. It will also be my monthly classic for the Women's Classic Literature Event organized by The Classics Club.
  2. The Reluctant Romantic Challenge hosted by Katie, which is about getting acquainted with a genre that you've always meant to read but never seem to get around to, or even with a genre you're scared of! I'll be doing romance. I read my first real romance novel last year, but I'm still very new to the genre.

14 comentarios:

  1. That's awesome that you're in France right now! Best of luck with your studies this semester, I hope the homesickness subsides (it really sucks when it hits you when you just arrive at said new place) and that you have a lot of fun over there :) I don't know if you've mentioned it in the past, but may I ask what you're doing your PhD on?

    The Reluctant Romantic Challenge looks like a lot of fun but given that I dived headfirst into the genre late last year + I'm still catching up with book reviews from last year, I decided not to participate. I hope you have a lot of fun with both reading events! :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! I'm currently looking for good macarons and crêpes just to improve the experience :)
      I'm doing my PhD on plant physiology - in particular about plant stem cells, but I won't bore you with the details! I'm doing a lab stage to learn new techniques and such. Fortunately, English is the language of scientists, or I would be in great trouble.

      I understand. You have quite a backlog! Bon courage, as they say in French!
      Anyway, you don't have to read romance - it can be any genre you want. You're quite the eclectic reader, so it would be difficult to find a genre you are not familiar with! You can join us if you change your mind :)

      Eliminar
    2. Macarons and crepes sound good! =D

      Your PhD sounds interesting! Best of luck withy our research :)

      Eliminar
  2. Yayyyy for study abroad! I hope you love it in France and that you meet a lot of people and learn a lot of things and eat a lot of baguettes and croissants and creme brulee. <3 I haven't reached the homesickness point in my own study abroad, but I'm guessing it'll hit in a week or two. I hope yours doesn't get too difficult!

    Best of luck!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I'm doing great in terms of eating! Ha!

      Thank you for the kind words. I'm actually feeling better - I always get homesickness first thing when I'm travelling for an extended period. It subsides with time (and mostly with nice people!)

      Hope you don't get homesick!

      Eliminar
  3. Glad you joined the Reluctant Romantic challenge. I'm reading modernism myself

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Oh wow, that's an interesting genre. I can't say I'm widely read in modernism, but what I've read I've loved - Woolf, Lawrence, Yeats, Eliot, Joyce, Proust. Those books speak to me like no other genre ever has. And the art, and the architecture! France is actually bursting with modernist buildings.

      Eliminar
  4. I look forward to your explorations in the romance genre. I'll be doing graphic fiction and nonfiction, but romance would be another good one for me to try.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I love comics with all my heart, so if you are need of recs, here I am!

      Eliminar
  5. Yay! I'm so excited someone else will be reading romance with me :) The tea with honey sounds fantastic, but I hope your throat feels better enough that you don't need it soon.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, thank you. Plane bug, most likely, or plain cold.

      And yay for trying romance! I'll be looking forward to see what you choose to read.

      Eliminar
  6. Lucky you!
    But I remember how daunting it is to set off into the world on your own. Believe it or not, this will become one of those times you remember fondly and talk about for the rest of your life. It will change you a lot and teach you a lot about yourself....again in ways you wont fully appreciate until years later.

    But for now, I'm delighted that you will be joining in the two same challenges as me this month - I'll see you around :-)

    Have some lovely smelly, gooey cheese for me *sigh

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. PS Thanks for all the fabulous graphic novel tips xo

      Eliminar
    2. Thanks for putting it in perspective. I've needed some time to get used to this, but it is indeed an interesting experience.

      Smelly cheese is the best cheese! Although is not so great to store it in my mini-apartment. :D

      See you around!

      Eliminar