domingo, 13 de septiembre de 2015

Currently | Getting into the fall spirit

shamelessly stole got this idea from Kim, who blogs at Sophisticated Dorkiness. She reviews the most amazing books, so go read her blog!


The weather is chilling - mornings are particularly crisp. Leaves are turning to brown. Things at work are slowly going back to normal. Everyone is back from their summer holidays, but the stress levels are low for the time being. I have a couple of big business trips in the near future, though, so I'm having the laziest weekend I can because it's probably one of the last ones I get to spend at home until end of October / November. My SO is out of town, so I've been lounging and reading on the couch most of the time and it's been great.



Time: 13:55


Place: Living room table at home


Eating & Drinking: A homemade caramel macchiato. I'm really proud of how creamy and frothy it turned.


Reading: Yesterday I finished Paper Towns, which left me a bit shattered. I was expecting something completely different. Today I'm reading the Lucy and Walter Crane edition of the Brothers Grimm tales and My Sweet Orange Tree, a Brazilian children's classic that is sadly out of print in English. It is a very gloomy book, but one worth reading.


Playing: I've gone back to playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. My favorite aspect of this game is the lore. You have to find out about it by exploring (as it's usual) and by reading books in game. What's not to love? Unfortunately, dungeons get repetitive after a while, so I end up playing for a few days, getting fed up, turning to other games, and finally coming back. At this rate, I'm gonna finish it in my deathbed.


Writing: Some reviews. I should also start writing a character sheet for an upcoming roleplaying game I've been invited to join.


WatchingDaria. It was a show I loved to pieces when it was aired. I always identified a bit with Daria, even though she is kind of an ass some times. Also vlogbrothers videos, because of Paper Towns.


Promoting: I'm still doing the September Book Photo Challenge over on Tumblr

Elsewhere:


Similarities between anti-suffragette posters and anti-feminist memes @ Suite

"One of the strategies often used by anti-feminists is to compare current-day feminism to the suffragette movement, claiming that “back then,” feminists worked for something important and worthwhile – but today, feminists are just shrill, dissatisfied harpies who want to dominate men and sleep around. What these anti-feminists fail to realize, however, is that the arguments they use against feminists now are nearly identical to the arguments used a century ago in protest against the women’s suffrage movement."

The power of a library where it's needed the most @ BookRiot
"That humble library filled with books donated by adults and kids who believed that access to books was as important as access to clean water or fresh air or healthy food. That top floor of a South Bronx brownstone that gave these beautiful kids a world beyond the walls of a homeless shelter."

6 Novels featuring mental illness for World Suicide Prevention Day @ BookRiot
"I chose these books because the stigma around mental illness often (though increasingly less often) muffles the conversations that can help us relate to each other. We need to relate, I think, and there are plenty of us out there who go through it, but it’s hard to know who you can trust to confide in sometimes. Reading a book can help facilitate that connection, though; I like reading about people who have depression and anxiety because I feel less alone. I’ll see something I can relate to and think, “oh thank God, it’s not just me.”"

2 comentarios:

  1. My Sweet Orange Tree is on my 1001 Children's Books You Must Read list, but I can't find a copy anywhere in America. Wish it would come back into print.

    Here's my Sunday Salon!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I'm reading my mum's copy, which is in Spanish. If I ever see a second-hand copy in English, I'll be sure to buy it for you!

      Eliminar