martes, 1 de septiembre de 2015

August in Review

August has passed in a blink, and it has been such a pleasant month. I've been to Madeira - it was truly gorgeous!


Rabaçal
What did I read?
I started really reading again last month, and I'm still running with momentum. I'm so happy I can read again! Here's what I read this month:


Chew: Taster's Choice · Bailén · Daredevil: Guardian Devil · The Lightning Thief
Not pictured: O Último Cais · Chew: International Flavor
Lots of comics, and the three of them have been so great! I devoured (he) the two first volumes of Chew, which is crazy good. And for the fans of Kevin Smith (or Daredevil): you can't miss The Guardian Devil. It is a fantastic introduction to Daredevil which examines his troubled history with women and it's very honest and raw about it. It was a relief.

I also read my first Percy Jackson book! It was a very entertaining read, though I recognize it's written for a younger public.

But not everything was good reading-wise. Or, it was, I don't know. I finally got the courage to DNF The Innocents Abroad, which was boring me to tears. It took me half the book to do so, and it's not a slim book.

On the blog...

Goals for September
I did quite well regarding my August goals: I read O Último Cais, set in Madeira, am 75% into The Collected Stories of Conrad Aiken, and have started The Secret History. Unfortunately, I got a serious stomach bug midway through August and resorted to reading comfort books. I didn't feel like making an effort with The Secret History, and I'm not proud (sorry Fariba!). While I'm still suffering that persistent stomach bug, I hope to finish reading it this month. So goals:
  1. Finish The Secret History and The Collected Stories of Conrad Aiken.
  2. Read something for RIP X. Suggestions?
  3. Read something #Diversiverse. Once again, suggestions?

Elsewhere...
Homme de Plume: What I learned sending my novel under a male name @ Jezebel
I wanted to know more of how the Georges of the world live, so I sent more. Total data: George sent out 50 queries, and had his manuscript requested 17 times. He is eight and a half times better than me at writing the same book. Fully a third of the agents who saw his query wanted to see more, where my numbers never did shift from one in 25.

Marvel's hip-hop tribute embraces black metaphors but excludes black people @ The Guardian
An anonymous writer asked Brevoort “Can you explain why Marvel thinks that doing hip-hop variants is a good idea, when absolutely no announced writers or artists on the new Marvel titles, as of now, are black?” To which Brevoort responded blandly: “What does one have to do with the other, really?”

On For Such a Time by Kate Breslin and writing the Holocaust @ Bibliogato
In short, the book is a retelling of the Book of Esther (a Jewish story about a strong Jewish woman, who saves her people, and keeps her faith, and is not a romance) in which a Nazi camp commander saves a Jewish woman from Dachau and takes her to Theresienstadt in then-Czechoslovakia. There, they fall in love, and through a magically appearing Bible, find Jesus, and save Jews. At the end, the woman converts to Christianity because that’s her redemption arc.

Where to start with the works of James Tiptree, Jr. @ Tor
So, where do you start if you want to start reading Tiptree—which is a very good idea, given their position as namesake of a genre award for fiction exploring ideas about gender and as an individual whose own complex gender identity threw the field of sf into an uproar when revealed?

"It's [Not] Okay": How women die in comic book movies @ The Mary Sue
While in the context of these stories the individual deaths make sense, these adaptations exist in a larger cultural context. We live in a world where beating women “for their own good” happens every day, where the “stories” of our lives continually revolve around men, and representations of that being endorsed by our media is not helping to build a better society.

#Diversiverse is coming! @ Book Lust
Reading diversely may require you to change your book-finding habits.  It ABSOLUTELY does not require you to change your book reading habits.

Cool bookish places: Persephone Books in London @ BookRiot
Persephone publishes reprints of “neglected fiction and non-fiction by mid-century (mostly) women writers.” They were started in 1998 by Nicola Beauman and publish a few books a year – right now there are 112 available.

2 comentarios:

  1. Madiera! Gosh, that's gorgeous. Looks like you had an excellent August. I hope you get over your stomach bug soon and quickly!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. It really was. I can't complain ;)

      Thanks for your good wishes! The worst part is that I can barely eat, and I love food so much. :(

      Eliminar