domingo, 5 de julio de 2015

Currently | Bidding goodbye to the school year

shamelessly stole got this idea from Kim, who blogs at Sophisticated Dorkiness. She reviews the most amazing books, so go read her blog!


Geocaching in a Roman Road · New Comic Shop · Me! In Cookie Form!

I think this is the longest I've been AWOL from the blog, and I've missed it. My reading and healthcare plans fell by the wayside. I'd love to say it was because I was busy working, but that wasn't the case. I have suffered a living slump. I just soldiered through, and did nothing noteworthy. That doesn't work as a good blogging topic, though, and here we are.

This year has been full of changes I didn't expect. I started the schoolyear with a bunch of grad school mates, but they have all fled to other cities since they couldn't find grants to follow their projects. I should be happy I can continue my research, but it's odd to be the last one standing. Several awful things happened at work between my labmates, and now, the atmosphere has turned unpleasant, even though I'm not implicated in the turmoil. I also had to bid farewell to a bunch of non-work friends who found better jobs and moved. I'm a bit lost after this stroke of bad luck.

Not everything has been bad, though. I had my first experience as a mentor, and I loved it. It helped that my undergrads were intelligent and hardworking young women, and I'm going to miss them. That cookie up there was a gift from one of them. Crazy talented. If I had to bake cookies who looked like people, I'd be taking a cubist approach out of necessity. I also TA'd my first class, and it was easier than expected. I've learned a lot. I also rekindled my love of comics, joined Marvel Unlimited and discovered a new comic shop with kind and helpful assistants who didn't scare me away. And started geocaching! I love finding the little caches and new-to-me places around the city. 


Time: 20:03


Place: In front of a cooling fan :)


Eating & Drinking: Smoked salmon omelette with mozzarella cheese & Apple juice


Reading: According to Goodreads, I'm currently reading 9 books. 9 books! I'm out of control! The book that is getting most of my attention is Maria Snyder's Magic Study. I'm liking it so far, but I enjoyed Poison Study a bit more. It seems as if Yelena did magic way too easily.


Watching: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It's a perfect adaptation, you should all watch it! I'm also planning on going to the cinema tomorrow evening to watch Jurassic World.

Listening: I'm catching up with Welcome to Night Vale. It is such a wonderful and imaginative podcast! It's up there with Adventure Time as my current favorite scifi/fantasy shows. They both are unexpected, have great main characters with more layers than I can count, and are flawless at continuity.


Loving: My new layout! It took a while to adjust everything so it looked quite as I wanted, but I think it's worth it. Also, the weather. We are under a heatwave, but I'm finding it a bliss. I love warm weather so much.


Hating: Sunburn. I walked for a long time while geocaching and wasn't properly prepared to be under the sun for such a long time. Ugh. 

2 comentarios:

  1. Sorry to hear that you've had a bit of a blah year so far. A whole lot of changes at once and on top of each other can be unnerving and exhausting.
    Hope you find your groove again soon.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you for your good wishes. I am indeed feeling better, little by little - I just have to get used to all of it. :)

      Eliminar