sábado, 25 de abril de 2015

Dewey's Read-a-Thon

Hour 24 - End of the Event Meme




1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour 14. I just needed some sleep. It was 3 am where I'm reading, and I had been awake for a long time, with very little sleep the night before. I know I can do better if I am well-rested.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Noir/Mystery/Thrillers: Gone Girl, Night Film, anything Agatha Christie, anything Sherlock Holmes.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
I never seem to find anything to improve, yet every year Andi and Heather surprise me with something new and awesome.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
Hosting, both in the main page and the GR group. I also think that classifying prizes by geographical zone was genius.

5. How many books did you read?
1.5

6. What were the names of the books you read?
Kraken - China Miéville (finished on print)
Daddy-Long-Legs - Jean Webster (half through on audio)

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
It's hard to choose. I really enjoyed Kraken a whole lot, but it isn't readathon material. My main goal was finishing that book, so I pushed through. I wouldn't recommend it for a readathon, but I do wholeheartedly recommend it if you like really imaginative speculative fiction written by an extremely intelligent author with a vast vocabulary and a knack for wordplay.
Daddy-Long-Legs, while quite a lot more traditional than Kraken, is a better fit for readathon reading. 

8. Which did you enjoy least?
See answer to 7 above.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
Please, join our ranks! Cheerleading is awesome. The readathon is as much about reading as it is about connecting with other readers. I bet most of you are already spending a nice chunk of your time talking to other participants, so make it official and cheer! The number of participants has increased significantly. An increase in cheerleaders would be awesome so that the connections formed during the readathon get to be more meaningful.
If you join up, get to know your teammates and team captain beforehand. You could also write some cheers in advance! I really can't write poetry to save my life, not even the simpler rhyme, but some of you are really imaginative. I'm sure your cheers will be amazing. Looking forward to reading them next year! ;)

8. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Unless something from real life comes my way, I am a hundred per cent sure I will participate. It's my favourite bookish event. Reader and cheerleader for sure. I might consider something else if I am sure I can commit the time.

____________________________________________________________________________

Hour 20 - Shelfie Challenge

So I finally went to bed after hour 14 (3.30 am in Spain). I finished my round of cheering (around 100 blogs visited, yay!). Hope all of you are still going strong. I'm also just 100 pages away from finishing Kraken. I'm going to finish that book today!

As I said in Hour 12, both my mom and me are participating in the RAT. Sadly, from different cities (Hi mom!)

We are both participating in The Book Monster's Mini-Challenge: Shelfie. My mother doesn't have a blog and she can't upload her pics to GoodReads, so I will put them here on her behalf.

These are my mother's:


Impressive right? She has quite a library. I'm always borrowing her books when I go visit her.

And this is mine:


Hope you like them! :)

____________________________________________________________________________

Hour 12 - Mid-Event Survey

1. What are you reading right now?
Still Kraken, by China Miéville. It is proving to be a far more difficult and less engaging read than I expected. I'm liking it, but it's not exactly a page-turner. I'm also listening to Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster, and read by Jo Karabasz. I'm really liking it, but it's slow going since I only listen to it when I'm preparing food or doing chores.

2. How many books have you read so far?
None yet, but I will.

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
If I ever finish Kraken, I really want to read The Yellow Wallpaper.

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Nope, only a couple of phone calls with my mom, who is also participating in the read-a-thon.

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
I'm honestly surprised by the sheer number of readers. We are a lot of people, reading on the same day. Isn't it crazy?


I'm getting a bit tired and weary, and Kraken isn't really helping that much. But if I finish a book, it needs to be that one. Problem is, I may go to bed soon. I need some rest!

____________________________________________________________________________

Hour 9 - Treasure Hunt

Local time: 22:15
Hours spent cheering: 4
Hours spent reading: 2.5
Books finished: 0
Currently reading: Kraken, by China Miéville, and Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster




1. A tree and 3. Weapons (there are slings and pikes, a sword and full plate armor)


2. Snow




____________________________________________________________________________

Hour 7 


Local time: 20:00

Hours spent cheering: 3

Hours spent reading: 1.5

Books finished: 0

Currently reading: Kraken, by China Miéville, and Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster

Eating: nakd bar, turkey sandwich, lemon tea, english breakfast tea


Off to start a reading sprint with fellow Goodreads readathoners!

____________________________________________________________________________

Hour 3 - 4Seasons4Books

Winter - Life after Life (snow on the cover) // Spring - Les fleurs du mal (roses on the cover and flowers in the title) // Summer - Instructions for a Heatwave (heatwave and beach) // Autumn - Coraline (because it's kind of halloween-y)


Local time: 16:44

Hours spent reading: 40 minutes

Pages read: 24

Books finished: 0



I've had lunch, cheered on a bunch of blogs and read for very little time. I'm finishing Kraken. The first hours I'm always too restless to sit down and read, so I prefer to chat away :)


____________________________________________________________________________

Hour 2 - Classics Words of Wisdom


Local time: 15:10

Hours spent reading: 0

Hours spent cheering: 1

Pages read: 0

Books finished: 0



Mini-Challenge: Words of Wisdom



Allie is hosting a mini-challenge that has a lot to with classics, which is one of my favourite genres. I just had to participate. These are the words of wisdom of Lucy Maud Montgomery via Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables.


“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

This quote was really meaningful to me because it appeals to me as a reader, since we need mysteries for imagination to thrive (my other fave genres are fantasy and sci-fi) and as scientist, since it is awesome to have the opportunity to work on solving the mysteries of this interesting and cryptic world.

____________________________________________________________________________

Hour 0 - Opening Meme


1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

Salamanca, northwest Spain



2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

I really want to finish Kraken, since it is starting to get some steam. I'm actually excited about all of them. Yay!



3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

After Eight Thin Mints. It's a complete indulgement, I really don't eat them much, but I love them. I think they are going to become a RAT tradition.



4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

I'm 25, from Spain, doing my PhD in plant sciences. Although it's my second year, it's the first one I'm really working on it. Last year I had to work as research staff for an environment company since my financial situation wasn't ideal. I already asked for an extraordinary extension of my PhD, so I will be in grad school for five years, instead of four. It's proving to be really demanding, and I'm loving every minute of it. Unfortunately, I don't have that much spare time, and I am prioritizing friends and family over reading. I will be reading in Spanish and English. I love needlepoint, baking, eating baked goods, playing some boardgames, videogames, roleplaying and playing the piano. I'm kind of nerdy, and I love it.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I did participate. This is my fourth read-a-thon, I think. Last October I couldn't spend a lot of time reading, but I'm fortunate enough to have a really free Saturday today. I will also be cheering, which is lots of fun. If you aren't cheering, consider doing it next year!

____________________________________________________________________________
Once again, I am participating in Dewey's 24-hour Read-a-Thon! It's my favourite bookish event - the camaraderie here is impossible to match. I usually make this post days in advance, encourage people to participate, talk about planning my stack of books to enjoy on this day... However, my crazy PhD schedule has left me with little time to do so.

But isn't it perfect to start blogging and reading again thanks to Dewey's?

So here are the stack and the snacks! 



It includes a graphic novel (Blacksad), a half-read book (Kraken), three YA books (Interworld, The Lightning Thief and Spanish novel Proyecto Niebla), a couple of fantasy books (Poison Study and A Natural History of Dragons), a gripping novel (The Dinner), a short story collection (Too Much Happiness), ebooks, a not-in-the-picture audiobook (Daddy-Long-Legs), assorted chocolate, and dates.

It's a crazy huge stack, but I like having lots of books to choose from. The boyfriend will be dealing with real meals, phone calls and errands. I know not all of you have it this easy, but try to enjoy yourselves as much as you can. I will be there to cheer on you!

I also will be updating this periodically with Hour 0, 12, and 24 memes, books read, mini-challenges completed and so on.

42 comentarios:

  1. Yummm thin mints! That sounds like a very good readathon tradition to start!! Your PhD schedule sounds demanding, how exciting that you have today free. Happy reading!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Amy! My bf brought them home as a surprise readathon snack, and I have to admit it's the greatest snack of my pile. :)

      Thanks for pasing by and the same to you!

      Eliminar
  2. Thin mints sound amazing and I hope the weather in Spain is better than it is where I'm reading! I hope you have an amazing readathon!
    "One book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do.” ― Alan Bennett

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. It's actually raining cats and dogs here. We've had thunder and hail so far. So much for Spanish sunny weather! :)

      Love the quote!

      Thanks for passing by :)

      Eliminar
  3. I love the Anne quote! I think that's one of the greatest things about reading - it opens your mind to the possibilities of life.

    Happy reading and enjoy those snacks!!

    #TeamPopper

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Oh my word, Anne (with an E!) is one of my favorite characters ever. I love that you quoted her! Happy Readathon, darling! #TeamPopper loves you!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. She's one of my faves too! Thank you! :D

      Eliminar
  5. I love the Percy Jackson series, both of them. Your candy looks delicious! Happy reading!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I've never read them, so I'm really excited about this! :)

      Thanks and same to you Sarah :)

      Eliminar
  6. Love the quote and good luck with Kraken; I really struggled with that one. Happy reading!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks! It's a difficult book, China Miéville is way too smart for me. But I'm liking it.

      Eliminar
    2. That's EXACTLY how I felt when reading it! Thanks for visiting my blog and cheering me on as well!!!!

      Eliminar
  7. Thanks for dropping by :) I love Life After Life, will you be reading book 2 in that series?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read Life After Life yet :( It's great that it comes with a great rec, though. I have a feeling that I'll love it (everything I've heard about it indicates that it is right up my alley), so I guess once I finish it I will go buy book 2. If you read it, drop by to say whether you like it :)

      Eliminar
    2. Eventhough I loved Life After Life... I'm not sure if I'll pick up the next one (God in Ruins I think the title is?) I'm not sure how the author will approach the story by the ending of Life After Life...? However, it is a very interesting and unique book, definitely recommend it :)

      Eliminar
  8. I love Anne Shirley too - lovely quote.

    Thanks for stopping by - you are a cheerleader par excellence!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks! You are one of my favorite bloggers - I just had to chime in :)

      Eliminar
  9. Thank you for cheering on my blog :)
    Greetz from Holland

    ResponderEliminar
  10. I really love Spain!

    Happy reading!!!

    dodibus from #TeamSherlock

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. It's a nice country, isn't it? :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Eliminar
  11. You know I should really read some of China Mieville! Ánimo y que tengas un bonito día de lectura!!!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. ¡Gracias! Espero que tú también lo tengas :)

      Don't start with Kraken. I've heard it's not his best. Although it is intelligent and interesting, it lacks pace and soul. I want to finish it, not to read it. And yet I'm liking it.

      Eliminar
  12. Irene from Team Mr. Popper here. I hope you're enjoying the readathon so far. Please remember that it's all about having fun, so if you feel more like snacking than reading, then go ahead. This event is the perfect excuse for snacking!
    I'm sure you'll reach your goal. You can do this!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks! Your encouragement was greatly appreciated - I'm starting to falter a little bit.

      I do love snacking!

      Hope you are enjoying yourself too :)

      Eliminar
  13. I'm super excited to read Kraken, I just discovered Mieville this year and fell in love! But I can see how he might not be the best fit for a read-a-thon.

    Stay strong and happy reading!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I have heard Kraken is his least awesome book, yet it is filled with incredible ideas. I am enjoying it, but I find it hard to really be into it. It's an odd experience.

      Eliminar
  14. Oh no I hope that if you did take a nap break, that you make it back. I'm sorry to hear Kraken isn't really keeping you very awake - best of luck and happy reading!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I battled sleep for a couple hours after this, but I ended up going to bed. But I'm back and reading. Thanks for the cheer! Hope you are also having fun :)

      Eliminar
  15. Thanks for the encouragement during the Read-A-Thon. Hope you wake early enough to rejoin us in the morning.

    Julie L

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks back! And thanks for friending me on GR, it's always exciting to meet new bookish people :)

      Eliminar
  16. I LOVE that your mom is also doing Readathon!

    Rest those eyes, put down that book,
    Wake refreshed to take a second look!

    #FloaterCheerleader

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I finally convinced her! We are both having lots of fun :)

      Love that you made a proper cheer - I am nowhere near as imaginative! Thanks :)

      Eliminar
  17. Sounds like you had a very productive day! Happy reading!

    ResponderEliminar
  18. See that? It's the sun, or it will be soon. Have a quick look outside. That's right, leave the imaginary world for a moment, take a quick walk around the garden, the city block, down to the store for another special treat - you've earned it. You've worked hard this read-a-thon, now enjoy the last couple hours. It's not over yet! #TeamMrPopper

    P.S. Kraken is one of my favourite books. Hope you enjoyed it.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you for this fantastic cheer. You do have a beautifiul way with narrative - I think I will be checking you book.

      I did enjoy it an immense lot. Any other Miéville books I should read first? :)

      Eliminar
  19. The readathon has been great so far. Looks like your had an awesome day. Congrats!

    It is really quiet now. I can hear my cat snoring as I finish up my final pages. We are in the homestretch. Don't forget to move around a bit. Best of luck in achieving your read-a-thon goals. Happy reading! #TeamMrPopper

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! I did have an awesome day, partly thanks to your Mr. Popper cheers. You were an awesome team :)

      Eliminar
  20. "I never seem to find anything to improve, yet every year Andi and Heather surprise me with something new and awesome."

    I feel the same way. Every time it just seems to get better, and have more opportunities for readers of all kinds to come and participate. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!

    ResponderEliminar
  21. Yes for the cheerleading love! Each time, I worry about losing time from reading but cheering is so much fun and it is a great way to break up your reading!

    ResponderEliminar