domingo, 11 de enero de 2015

2014 End of Year Book Survey


2014 reading Stats

Number of Books You Read:
38 according to Goodreads, which is more than I read in 2013! Yay!
Number of Re-Reads:
Surprisingly, 6. I would've never said I was the re-reading type!
Genre You Read The Most From:
Sci-Fi & Fantasy, or what I like to call 'speculative fiction'

Best in Books

1. Best book you read in 2014?
Saplings, by Noel Streatfeild
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?
It's Hard to Be Hip over Thirty and Other Tragedies of Married Life, by Judith Viorst
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Lazarillo de Tormes, in a really good way. I had tried reading it before and couldn't get into it, but I really liked it this time around.
4. Book you "pushed" the most people to read (and they did) in 2014?
Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best sequel of 2014? Best series ender of 2014?
Series starter: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs
Sequel: Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom, by Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodríguez
No series ender for 2014
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Favorite new-to-me authors were Carmen Laforet, Veronica Schanoes, Ana María Matute, Charles Vess, and Ken Liu
7. Best book from a genre you don't typically read or that was out of your comfort zone?
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach. I don't read that much nonfiction, but books like this one make me wish I did
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Definitely Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl
9. Book you read in 2014 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Hm, I don't really think I'll be re-reading any of 2014 books in 2015
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?



11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Lázaro de Tormes, Nobody Owens, the whole Watchmen cast, Miss Peregrine, Amy Dunne, Stanislas Cordova, the Wiltshire children, Beleg Strongbow, Romeo, Juliet, and Mercutio.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Ana María Matute's Fireflies, followed by The Age of Miracles and A Tale for the Time Being
13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2014?
El voto femenino y yo, by Spanish women rights activist and politician Clara Campoamor. The title would translate to 'Women's suffrage and me'
14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Watchmen, by Alan Moore. I knew I'd like it, yet I never seemed to find a moment to finally start it.
15. Favorite passage or quote from a book you read in 2014?
“Pleasing things: finding a large number of tales that one has not read before. Or acquiring the second volume of a tale whose first volume one has enjoyed. But often it is a disappointment.” ― Sei ShōnagonThe Pillow Book
“In life there are two things which are dependable. The pleasures of the flesh and the pleasures of literature.” ― Sei ShōnagonThe Pillow Book
“You're always you, and that don't change, and you're always changing, and there's nothing you can do about it.” ― Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book
16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2014?
Shortest: Seventh Day of the Seventh Moon - 20 pages
Longest: A Dance with Dragons - 1152 pages
17. Book that shocked you the most?
Romeo and Juliet. I wasn't expecting so many sex jokes for a play essentially known for its portrayal of tragedy and doomed love.
18. OTP of the year?
Yuan and Jing from Seventh Day of the Seventh Moon, Mary Lennox and Dickon from The Secret Garden, and Deborah and Ruthie from Burning Girls
19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Beleg and Túrin from The Children of Húrin, Nao and her grandmother Jiko from A Tale for the Time Being, and Nobody Owens and everyone at the graveyard from The Graveyard Book
20. Favorite book you read in 2014 from an author you've read previously:
The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. Although I'm cheating here, since it was a re-read. My favorite new-to-me book from a known-to-me author would be Watchmen
And my favorite new-to-me book from an also new-to-me author would be Saplings. How can a book be so beautifully written, engaging, thought-provoking and heart-breaking?
21. Best book you read in 2014 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else or peer pressure:
I was a lone wolf this year and did not listen to anyone, apparently
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Mercutio, the sharpest and wittiest tongue of Verona
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
I'm always late after the hype, so no debuts for me
24. Best world-building or most vivid setting you read this year?
Night Film
25. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2014?
Saplings made me really sad
27. Hidden gem of the year?
El voto femenino y yo
28. Book that crushed your soul?
Nada
29. Most unique book you read in 2014?
The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon, it's like the first millenium version of a blog
30. Book that made you the most mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)?
It's Hard to Be Hip over Thirty, which I read in a matter of hours but made me rant for weeks

Looking Ahead

1. One book you didn't get to in 2014 but will be your number one priority in 2015?
The Map of Chaos, the third book in Félix J. Palma's Victorian Trilogy, which was published late November in Spain. I got my copy in October and really wanted to read it, but it never happened. I'm reading it right now and it is not letting me down!
Keep your eyes peeled for it, because it will be out in June!
2. Book you are most anticipating for 2015 (non-debut)?
Armada by Ernest Cline (author of Ready Player One)! I am SO EXCITED about this one. SO EXCITED!! I've become a hyperactive squirrel.
Also on my list: V.E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic, Neil Gaiman's Trigger Warning, and Megan Mayhew Bergman's Almost Famous Women
3. 2015 debut you are most anticipating?
I don't have what's needed to be up-to-date with debuts, so I wouldn't know what to answer
4. Series ending or sequel you are most anticipating in 2015?
It would be really cool if Pat Rothfuss published the ending to the Kingkiller Chronicle, but I don't think it's going to happen. It isn't so terrible since I still haven't read the Auri story. I will also survive on stories (and the HBO show) regarding ASOIAF.
And you all should be excited about The Map of Chaos!
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading and blogging life in 2015?
I want to read more regularly again, which I think will help with blogging regularly. I'm even thinking of scheduling reading and blogging times!
I also want to read things I want to read and not things I feel I should read, so I won't be big on year challenges this year that make me put up a book list. Even if I put every book I'm most eager to read on that list, I would find a way to ignore them. I like thematical challenges, though, so I would love themed monthly challenges or readathons (for a moment there a 'g' slipped) suggestions, if you have any! I think I will participate in Non-Fic November, and probably will do Women History Month in March, but that's all I have for now. Tell me more, please!
Finally, I'd like to change my blog design and have a prettier blog. Simpler, maybe. This is definitely out of my current skills, but I'm working on it already. I'd also like to find a new way to review books - I'm kind of bored of my current reviews, so why would anyone read them? But I can't seem to find a good way to do this. Again, any suggestions would be great!

4 comentarios:

  1. The Burning Girls cover is great! Good luck with your 2015 reading year :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. The cover was what got my attention in the first place! In case you are curious about Burning Girls, you can read it for free on Tor.com. It's a very, very short novella!

      Thanks, and the same to you!

      Oh, and thanks for your kind comment - I didn't think anybody would be reading this after such a long hiatus :)

      Eliminar
  2. Looks like you had a fantastic year in reading! I enjoyed reading your answers :) I really hope to get around to Night Film is year, it like like such an intriguing read :D May 2015 bring you more awesome books to read!

    Btw, I changed urls some time ago; you can now find me at eclectictales.com (formerly caffeinatedlife.net) :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks and same to you!

      I'll keep my eyes peeled in case you review Night Film. It sure is an intriguing book! And very fast-paced.

      The change in URLs was seamless, everything changed itself. Good for the technology illiterate like me. By the way, great new look!

      Eliminar