martes, 6 de mayo de 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Covers I'd Frame As Pieces of Art


Top Ten Tuesday is an original weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that anyone can answer. All you have to do is link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post and add it to the Linky widget.

Top Ten Book Covers I'd Frame As Pieces of Art

It's been really difficult to narrow down the choices for this prompt. I love book covers! But I had to think hard about which kind of covers I'd hang on my house. As much as I love this 1984 cover or this Tampa cover, they wouldn't look exactly good on a wall. They would be great conversations starters though, so there's that. I also decided not to cheat including book covers of artists' biographies featuring art by said artists'. This cover of The Brinkley Girls is a great example of what I mean. After all this whittling, here are the top ten book covers I'd frame as pieces of art!



I like book covers with an old feeling to them, as if they were woodcuts or engravings. I'm specially fond of The Folio Society edition of His Dark Materials, although you can't see it properly in that bad-quality image. Here it is in all its beauty.




On the other hand, I also love a minimalist use of color. Black, red and white always look great together. Bonus points for including the title and author as part of the art itself.




Finally, I like covers which heavily feature nature, as is the case with the luscious cover of one of the Spanish editions of Love in the Time of Cholera, or the soothing cover of the Spanish edition of Where Things Come Back (Un lugar al que volver). 
Obviously I couldn't not include a cover designed by Coralie Bickford-Smith, because they are all gorgeous. I think Exciting Food for Southern Types would look really great on my kitchen, along with the Seating Arrangements book cover.

Would you like to hang these prints on your walls? Or would your choices be wildly different?

5 comentarios:

  1. Ahhh! These are just ALL so beuatiful! I love The Cavendish Home one, ohhh, and I haven't seen Tin Toys until today, but I'm adoring that really simplistic look with the red. LOVE.
    My TTT!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Those are all so pretty - I love Deathless most!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Thank you all for stopping by and leaving a comment! They truly make my day, but I'm the worst at replying.

    ResponderEliminar