lunes, 3 de febrero de 2014

The Classics Spin #5

Although it's been 4 months since I signed up for the Classics Club, I've only read two books on my list. The Classics Spin should be a welcome nudge in the right direction! Here's my list:

5 classics I'm dreading:
1. The Iliad - Homer
2. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
3. The Guermantes Way - Marcel Proust
4. The One Thousand and One Nights - Anonymous
5. To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

5 classics I can't wait to read:
6. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
7. The 19th of March and the 2nd of May - Benito Pérez Galdós
8. It's Hard to Be Hip Over Thirty - Judith Viorst
9. Wigs on the Green - Nancy Mitford
10. The Annotated Alice - Lewis Carroll & Martin Gardner

5 classics I'm neutral about:
11. A selection of Anton Chekhov's Tales
12. The Call of the Wild - Jack London
13. The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
14. The Currents of Space - Isaac Asimov
15. Robot Dreams - Isaac Asimov

5 Persephone classics:
16. Minnie's Room - Mollie Panter-Downes
17. The Victorian Chaise Longue - Marghanita Laski
18. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - Winifred Watson
19. Miss Ranskill Comes Home - Barbara Euphan Todd
20. Greenery Street - Denis Mackail

I can't wait to find out the result of the spin!

6 comentarios:

  1. The Iliad and To The Lighthouse were great! I was intimidated by both and ended up loving them. You do have some challenging ones on your list though. Good luck with getting another classic read!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks! It's nice to know they aren't as tough as their reputations make them seem. CC is perfect to push me out of my comfort zone regarding classics.

      Eliminar
  2. I second 'To the Lighthouse' with unflagging fervor! I am also glad to see Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man make your list as well. Happy reading!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I got Greenery Street for my spin book, but fear not - I'll eventually read them all, including all the Joyce I can stomach! My only experience with him was Dubliners, which I liked, but I've heard it is nothing like the rest of his work.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Eliminar
  3. Impressive list! I love Chekhov's works and enjoyed Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day immensely. I've been meaning to get around to The Iliad, The One Thousand and One Nights and The Hounds of Baskervilles. One of these days xD

    Happy reading :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Then I will keep you informed when I finally get around to reading them, so that you can decide whether you want to join me! :)

      Glad to know you enjoyed Chekhov's tales and Miss Pettigrew!

      Eliminar