sábado, 11 de enero de 2014

2013 Reading Stats

At the end of the reading year, I like to have a look at my reading stats. I have been doing this since 2006, but this is the first year I'm blogging about it. These stats aren't intended as a competition - reading is about having fun, learning and exploring. They are just a way to try to understand my reading habits. So here are the numbers:


Total Books Read: 26
Total Pages Read: 9335
Average Pages Per Book (PPB): 359.04
Best Reading Month: October, with 5 books
Worst Reading Month: February, May and June (no books finished)
Average Books Per Month: 2.17

26 is not a big number for what I usually read, and the average PPB indicates that I've been reading shorter books this year. What happened? This is my first year as a book blogger, so one would expect a better reading outcome. I think I know the causes to my meagre total: this is the year I got my Masters degree, started grad school and struggled financially to be able to pay for it. It also was a rollercoaster of a year in my personal life, but I'm not ready to discuss that here. It all meant that my reading time decreased, and that I wanted to use my free time for different things. These things weren't always productive, but all of them were necessary for my sanity.

On the other hand, 2013 was the year when I finally tackled Proust's In Search of Lost Time, and I'm happy to have read the first two volumes. They are time-consuming, but so much worth it. I've also learned that I like to be challenged and that I love read-a-thons: they motivate me to read more and erase the guilt I've been feeling lately when I devote huge chunks of time to reading or blogging. I'm working on this.

Language: 38.46% in English, 7.69% in French, and the rest in Spanish. Not bad, considering that the French books were Proust's.
Female vs Male: 27% vs 73%. Not very happy with this. I have more books in my TBR pile written by women than by man, so this is inexcusable.
New-to-me Authors: 57.7%

Genre: (the categories overlap, so the percentages won't add up to 100)
  • Nonfiction: 2 (8%)
  • Poetry: 0 (0%) - ugh, I have to read some poetry this year!
  • Novels: 19 (73%)
  • Short Story Collections: 5 (19%)
  • Comics/Graphic Novels: 3 (11.5%)
  • Classics: 11 (42%) - I like this total, half classics, half contemporary
  • SciFi & Fantasy: 5 (19%)
  • Mystery/Thriller: 3 (11.5%)
  • Horror: 3 (11.5%)
Source:
  • From my TBR: 19 books (73%), of which 7 were new acquisitions
  • Borrowed from the library: 5 books (19%)
  • Borrowed from other readers: 2 books (8%)
I'm happy with this distribution, since I need to read more books out of my own shelves!

Top 3 Books I Read in 2013:


 
  1. The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman
  2. Maus, by Art Spiegelman
  3. Mrs Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf
Least Favorite Book: María, by Jorge Isaacs. With this I don't mean that I actively disliked the book, only that, compared to the other books I've read in 2013, María is the weakest. It's well-written, not too bad plot-wise, and a classic Latin American novel, so I still recommend it.

I've just realized that this is the first year in which I haven't read a book I disliked! I'm going to take this as a sign of reader maturity - I'm choosing my reading material better, yay!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada