lunes, 4 de noviembre de 2013

Nonfiction November: Nonfiction Favorites



Kim from Sophisticated Dorkiness and Leslie from Regular Rumination are hosting Nonfiction November. It's a blogging event to celebrate nonfiction! Participants are encouraged to read more nonfction during the whole month. On Mondays, there will be a question related to the genre.

I've realized I have not read a single nonfiction book this year! And I don't want to look at past years stats, because it would only be too sad. I'm a lousy nonfiction reader! So I seized the opportunity the moment I heard about Nonfiction November. Sadly, I have many fiction books that need to be read. Or not so sadly. I love to have book stacks overload. Anyway, even if I won't be reading solely nonfiction, I wanted to participate with at least a couple of books.

Today's question is What is your favorite piece of nonfiction? I'm afraid I'm not really qualified to answer the question. I've noticed that I like reading about:


Spanish grammar (it's my native language)
Books
History, specifically the Second World War
Women: evolution of gender roles through history, women who made a historical difference, feminism
Biology

Click the covers if you want to know more about my choices. And sorry about the couple in Spanish that haven't been translated, but I really really liked them when I read them and couldn't bring myself to leave them off the list.


      


            



6 comentarios:

  1. Great choices! I love that you have Spanish titles on the list even though I can't read them. Nothing to apologize for -- I think those of us who only speak English should make all the apologies :-) .

    You might like the book I picked, Julia Child Rules -- a bit of WWII and a lot about women.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks, Joy, that's very kind :)

      And thanks for the rec, too. WWII and women guarantee a place on my wishlist!

      Eliminar
  2. I think it's interesting when people say they like to read about WWII because, honestly, I find most WWII nonfiction pretty boring! And I have no idea why. I don't mind nonfiction for other wars, but WWII books tend to leave me hanging. It's weird.

    That said, I do love books about women in history. They're some of my favorites, especially women in politics or political situations. Super fascinating. Thanks for participating!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I guess it's just a matter of taste, really. I now realize I left one of my favorite WWII nonfiction books out of the list, Few Eggs and No Oranges, which would have given a more accurate idea of what tickles my fancy about WWII. It's such an alien experience for most of us, and yet so recent and relatable somehow. I can't help but be curious about it.

      If you have any recommendations about women in history, please share them! I'd love to explore that topic.

      Thank you for hosting!

      Eliminar
  3. I love that you say you like to read about Spanish grammar because I totally get that - I love to read about English and Spanish grammar or anything linguistics related. I was a linguistics and Spanish major in college and I really miss it. Thank you for joining in! I can't wait to see what else you post this month :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you for hosting! This event is just what I needed to get out of my non-fiction rut.

      I think you'd love Javier Marías, then. Either his fiction (his novels are mind-blowing and really well-written) or his essays. He is one of my favorite Spanish columnists.

      Eliminar