viernes, 29 de noviembre de 2013

Nonfiction November: New Additions to My TBR


Kim from Sophisticated Dorkiness and Leslie from Regular Rumination are hosting Nonfiction November. It's a blogging event to celebrate nonfiction! Participants are encouraged to read more nonfction during the whole month. On Mondays, there will be a question related to the genre.

Behold: this is going to be all over the place. That's how I roll these days.

When I saw this challenge at the end of October, I was so excited for this! I've been wanting to make a dent on my nonfiction TBR for a while, and I thought the weekly questions were really cool. However, life has been sending me curveball after curveball during November - it has been a crazy month. And December won't be better. I have been through many rough changes in my life. But I'm thankful that some of those changes have brought incredible opportunities with them. The awful part is that I have almost abandoned blogging! 

I haven't been able to participate on the event as much as I'd have liked to, and I haven't been reading that much either. The only nonfiction I've started reading is The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History, and I'm liking it so far, but I'm barely 100 pages in. I didn't lie when I said I enjoyed reading nonfiction about WWII. But I've been reading all your blogs - instead of cutting down my TBR. And now it has tripled in size!

Karen at Candid Diversions is responsible for half of the additions to my TBR. Her WWII-centric list for 'Becoming the Expert' is amazing. While I was already familiar with some of the titles she mentions, I haven't yet read most of them. The books I'm most looking forward to reading are The Battle of Britain, The Secret Lives of Codebreakers and Savage Continent.

  

I've also added some science books, like The Lives of a Cell (thanks to Katie at Doing Dewey), or books about reading, like So Many Books, So Little Time (thanks to Book Mammal). And you guys have sparked my interest in foodie nonfiction! I've added quite a few titles of that category to my TBR, thanks to Joy (like Relish) and to our host Lu (like Fair Food or Tomatoland).

 

Even if I haven't participated that much, the event has been a fun one. I'm looking forward to next year's Nonfiction November. Thanks to the hosts and to everyone who has participated for this wonderful event!

4 comentarios:

  1. There are so many good books on this list. Karen's "Be the Expert" post was amazing. I've heard good things about The Monuments Men -- I hope you're enjoying it. Thanks for participating this month!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Well, everyone has been listing and reading amazing books during the whole month!

      So far it's good. It has a slow start - but soon picks up the pace. I'll still be publishing the review when I finish it.

      Eliminar
  2. It's tough when life keeps you away from blogging for a while! I know it always makes me feel a bit guilty. But realistically, I think it's great when we manage to keep posting at all :)

    This is a great list of books you've added to your to-read list. I'm overwhelmed by the number of interesting books I've discovered through this event! If you do get around to reading Lives of a Cell, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks for the wise words! I know blogging is only a hobby (for me, at least), but I try so hard to set up a schedule that it makes me feel guilty if I can't blog regularly.

      I know, you guys have good taste!
      I've actually been to a couple of bookshops recently and couldn't find it, but I'll keep on searching. Your recommendation really made me want to read it.

      Eliminar