martes, 15 de octubre de 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I was "Forced" to Read



Top Ten Tuesday is an original weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that anyone can answer. All you have to do is link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post and add it to the Linky widget.



Top Ten Books I Was "Forced" To Read

Most of the books on this top ten were required readings once. While I didn't like the majority of books taught at school, there were a few that stood out:

Some were Spanish classics (language, not nationality!)...


1. Trafalgar, by Benito Pérez Galdós
An adventure book, full of Spanish history and really well written. This was the first novel I read by Galdós, a well-known classic Spanish author, and I became hooked. So much, I've included a few of his novels in my Classics Club list.

2. Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes
This book is part of the standard Spanish curriculum. It could have been a horror to get through: the language is quite dated and difficult and the plot seems all over the place. Fortunately, my whole family loves this classic and they showed me that Don Quixote is an idealistic adventurer close to the heart of every teenager.

3. Strange Pilgrims, by Gabriel García Márquez
Another great classic, and written by a Nobel prize, no less. I think it's the perfect book to start with Gabriel García Márquez. It's a collection of really well-written short stories, ranging from weird campy-ness to darkly twisted horror, with Latino America as a background.

...and some were not:




4. Matilda, by Roald Dahl
Yes, I met one of my favorite characters (and author and illustrator, too) through required reading. I loved Matilda - she was the first literary bookworm I've encountered in my reading life. And I loved her so much that I've been using Quentin Blake's illustrations as profile pics for years. In fact, ever since I opened my Goodreads account, back in 2007.

5. The Giver, by Lois Lowry
My very first dystopia, a sub-genre that I now love, was also required reading. The details of that oppressive world had never faded out of my mind. I have never read the sequels, so I don't know how the story continues, though.

6. Fear and Trembling, by Amélie Nothomb
This book about a young European woman who wants to work and thrive in Japan was the first book I read by Amélie Nothomb, a Belgian author who is now a favorite of mine. I have to thank this one to a particularly sensitive French teacher who passed away too soon. She was one of my favorite teachers, so it's an honor to be able to acknowlege her influence in my reading habits, among other other things.

7. The Island of Dr. Moreau, by H.G. Wells
The last required reading of my life and one of the best, too. This novel is as current as the day it came out.

Finally, I owe the pleaseaure of some of the best books I was forced to read to my stubborn friends. I am thankful I have them!



8. Ever After, by Graham Swift
The most recent book I was forced to read. It wasn't exactly that I loved it, but this slim volume left a deep impression on me. It's about love and loss and faith... A review will be up tomorrow, if you want to know more about it.

9. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, by J.K. Rowling
Yes, my first Harry Potter reading was caused by a childhood friend who wouldn't stop raving about it and wanted me to read it. I became a potterhead in turn, and waited for every following novel as if it was Christmas morning. There, that just dates me.

10. The Map of Time, by Félix J. Palma
I had been avoiding this book because of the hype it got in Spain. Go figure, since it was totally deserved. One of the best steampunks I've read in a while. If you want to know more about it, here is my review.

4 comentarios:

  1. Don Quixote also ended up on my list this week ;) Read it in undergrad but I've been meaning to go back to it; maybe next year :)

    lol that you mentioned hype for The Map of Time; I have a tendency of avoiding books when it's super popular and waiting until the hype dies down before checking it out xD

    My TTT

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I want to go back to Don Quixote, too. If you are up to it, we could have a read-along!

      I get what you say about the hype. In my opinion, it's a good strategy if you don't mind being left out of bookish conversations, since it lets you discern between the drivel and the books that deserved the praise.

      Eliminar
  2. Vi que vives en España. Mi español es horrible, pero pensé que podría comentar en tu lengua nativa. Leí “The Giver” en clase pero ya leí para la diversión. Quiero leer “Cien años de soledad” de Gabriel García Márquez en español pero el libro es muy largo y no sé si podrá entender el escrito. De todos modos, afortunadamente puedes entender mi comentario. ¡También, me gusta tu blog!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Claro que te entiendo, tu español es muy bueno. :)
      La verdad es que no he leído aún Cien años de soledad, pero sí he oído que es confuso incluso para los hispanohablantes, aunque el esfuerzo merece la pena.

      ¡Gracias!

      Eliminar