sábado, 20 de julio de 2013

Book Blogger Hop: What is your favorite classic novel?


First book blogger hop! And the first question I'm ever answering for a BBH couldn't be more suited: What is your favorite classic novel?

I mean, I mainly read classics! And because of that, I feel entitled to cheat on my first day and list two favorite classic novels instead of just one:

For a more contemporary classic, If on a winter's night a traveler, by Italo Calvino, blew my mind when I read it. The best way to describe it is as a Choose You Own Adventure for grown-ups. If that doesn't spark your interest, I don't know what will. I haven't reviewed it on this blog because I read it a while ago and this blog is fairly new, but here's my Goodreads review.

My other choice is a little bit more classic: Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë. When I started reading classics by choice and not because they were assigned at school, I only found stories happening to dudes. The ladies were there just to faint and be a love interest. Basically, I mean this:

Copyright: Kate Beaton, the writer and cartoonist of Hark, a Vagrant!
And then I came across Jane Eyre. Outspoken, strong-willed, compassionate and intelligent. A classic woman I could look up to. My favorite quotes from the novel really show what I mean:

“Jane, be still; don't struggle so like a wild, frantic bird, that is rending its own plumage in its desperation."
"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being, with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.” 

“I would always rather be happy than dignified.” 

“Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!”  

Okay, I'm leaving it at that. I don't think you'd like to read a dozen of quotes. In case you feel so inclined, go here. Refreshing, specially for a 19th century novel.

7 comentarios:

  1. I've been meaning to get around to reading "If on a winter's night a traveler" by Calvino but your review convinced me to make it a priority. I seem to have a particular affection for experimental novels.

    I am glad to have discovered your blog through the blog hop! :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! You won't regret reading it :)

      Eliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. (I deleted my previous comment because of typos. Lol.)

    Hi, Masanobu!

    Oh, such a WONDERFUL post!! I'm so happy, happy, happy, that you're such an ARDENT Jane Eyre fan!! I really should have included some quotes from this novel in my own post. Of the ones you selected, that last paragraph is precisely the one that set my soul on fire when I first read this novel years ago!!

    You might know that there's a book titled "Becoming Jane Eyre: A Novel". The book's author is Sheila Kohler. And that's PRECISELY what I wanted to do when I first read Charlotte Bronte's immortal classic -- BECOME Jane Eyre! This novel has always inspired me, and I consider it to be much, much better than "Wuthering Heights"!! I don't care WHAT the literary critics say!!

    Here's the Amazon link for the Kohler novel:

    http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jane-Eyre-Penguin-Original/dp/B003VWC4M6/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374365476&sr=1-1&keywords=becoming+jane+eyre+by+sheila+kohler

    Well, let me get off my little soapbox now.....lol.

    As for the other book you mention, by Italo Calvino, I've never heard of it, but will definitely investigate!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and commenting on my BBH post!! : )

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Well, thank you! I understand what you say about that paragraph - Charlotte Brontë wrote such a passionate character.

      And thanks for the recommendation! :)

      Eliminar
  4. Have not read either of these books but have seen Jane Eyre all over these answers.

    Check out my post here http://ashleynemer.blogspot.com/2013/07/book-blogger-take-11.html

    Welcome to the blog hop!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Jane Eyre is a great book. Give it a try!

      Eliminar